Online scams that take advantage of consumers are on the rise. “Phishing” is a popular form of fraud that uses deception to get personal information from targeted individuals. Information that is “phished” includes:
- Credit or debit card information, including account numbers and expiration dates
- Social Security numbers
- Deposit account numbers
- User names and passwords
Phishing scams can be difficult to detect because the fraudsters present themselves as agents of a financial institution. Please keep in mind that neither Sharon Credit Union, nor any other legitimate financial institution, will ever ask you to divulge this information over the phone or through an email.
Here are some tips to avoid phishing scams:
- Do not reply to emails or internet pop-up messages that ask for personal or financial information
- Do not click any links contained within an email that you believe to be suspicious
- If you receive a suspicious email or phone call, check the validity of the message by contacting the business using a phone number you know is real
- Do not send personal or financial information in an email or email attachment
Be wary of any email or phone call that:
- Tells you there is a problem with your account
- Asks you to provide sensitive information
- Does not include a phone number that you recognize to be genuine
Report fraud ASAP
If you think you have been targeted by a phishing attempt, contact Sharon Credit Union immediately at 781-784-7725 to alert us to a potential fraud. If you have released your information to a suspicious source, you should also contact the three major credit bureaus to request a fraud alert be placed on your credit report.
Equifax: 1-800-685-1111 Experian: 1-888-397-3742 TransUnion: 1-800-888-4213
To place a fraud alert with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), please call their toll free number: 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338).
For helpful resources regarding various identity theft topics visit the FTC’s Identity Theft page.
If you have any questions about phishing or any other financial security topics, feel free to call Sharon Credit Union Member Service at 781-784-7725.