8 Ways To Save On A Vacation
Just because you’re going on vacation, that doesn’t mean your budget has to take a hike. Use these tips to save big and still have a wonderful vacation!
- Check AirBNB for cheap rentals before booking an expensive hotel.
- Don’t pay full price for any attraction before checking online for coupons and other ways to save. You can find discounts on Groupon and reduced entrance tickets to attractions on Craigslist.
- Consider a “working vacation” in which you land a job in a location you’d like to visit. You’ll have to put in a full day’s work, but you’ll get a salary and will be able to live like a real local. You’ll be free during nights and weekends to do all the sightseeing you can!
- House-swap with someone who lives in the location you’re visiting instead of paying for a place to stay.
- Research free attractions in the area. Look for fun splash pads for the younger kids, free factory tours, beautiful waterways and challenging hiking trails. You don’t need lots of money to have fun!
- If you always visit the same area, consider purchasing a timeshare instead of shelling out money for a place to stay each year.
- If vacationing is a serious drain on your budget, consider opening an SCU Direct Savings Account with us. The SCU Direct is a program designed to encourage a systematic savings plan and offers a higher dividend rate than the regular Share Savings Account. Money will automatically be transferred from your Sharon Credit Union checking account to your SCU Direct savings account and you’ll earn interest at a higher rate!
- Bring your own food from home instead of dining out at every opportunity. You can pack a griddle and a portable grill for easy gourmet-on-the-go.
Your Turn: How do you save while on vacations? Share your best tips with us in the comments!
« Return to "Blog Home"